If you are interested in Lutheran book lists, then this is the page for you. There is even a spot listing Lutheran book review websites.
The most requested so far is this list: Religious Reading Recommendations for Students by Age.
If you’re looking for book lists more generally, those are down toward the end of the page. They aren’t necessarily Lutheran lists, but they’ve proven helpful to Lutherans so they are included. 🙂
The Bible: Lutheran Editions
- The Story Bible for ages 3-8 (130 Bible stories with realistic pictures, prayers, and discussion questions)
- A Child’s Garden of Bible Stories for ages 6-8 (Sixty Old and New Testament Bible Stories)
- Growing in Faith Bible for ages 8-10 (Full ESV biblical text with narratives highlight 125 Bible narratives and more)
- 120 Bible Stories for ages 8-12 with activity book
- One Hundred Bible Stories for ages 8-12 with activity book
- Faith Alive for ages 11-18
- An American Translation (Sometimes called the Beck Bible)
- Holy Bible: Evangelical Heritage Version published by Northwestern
- The Lutheran Study Bible
Perhaps culminating with . . . 😀
It may seem silly to link to a specific search on a website, but the truth of the matter is that sometimes it’s handy to have something like a Bibliography on Liturgy, Christian Dogmatics for Laypeople, Scriptural Hermeneutics, etc. But since more bibliographies continue to be made, we linked to the search function on SteadfastLutherans.org.
Book Review Sites by Lutherans
Book reviews aren’t always the primary purpose of the sites, although sometimes they are. Both academic and less academic sites will be listed.
- A Fort Made of Books
- The Beggars’ Blog
- Brandywine Books (Lars, which is pronounced Larce, Walker is the Lutheran)
- Concordia Theological Quarterly Book Reviews
- The Edge of the Precipice
- Katie’s Bookshelf at Sisters of Katie Luther
- Logia Online
- Loved in Spite of Self
- Liturgy, Hymnody, and Pulpit Quarterly Book Review
- Lutheran Book Review
- The Lutheran Column
- Lutheran Pub
- Lutheran Quarterly Book Reviews
- Mary J Moerbe reviews books here
Education Books by Lutherans
General Lutheran Education
A Christian Pedagogy by Edward Koehler
Luther on Education: article
Lutheran Curriculum Guides
Some of these may have non-Lutheran authors, but these first five books were recommended by LCEF Interest Time, Issue 114, p. 24.
- From Ghosts to God in Enga Land: Planting His Church Among the Enga People of Central Papua New Guinea by the (Lutheran) Rev. Dr. Otto Hintze Jr.
- Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility by Duane Elmer
- Tortured for Christ by (Lutheran) Rev. Richard Wurmbrand
- Ministering Cross-Culturally by Marvin Mayers and Sherwood Lingenfelter
- Silence: A Novel by Shusaku Endo
Non-Fiction By Age
All Ages (Youngest to Oldest)
- Luther’s Small Catechisms: Editions for Every Age
- Religious Reading Recommendations for Students by Age
- Easter ABCs is for preschoolers.
- My Little ABC Liturgy Book (and coloring book!) is great for preschoolers and early elementary ages.
- Our Faith from A to Z has basics for younger kids and more for older. Good for discussions.
(One popular non-Lutheran, religious ABC book is Big Thoughts for Little People: ABC’s to Help You Grow. It isn’t Lutheran. It isn’t perfect, but it has been very helpful in introducing topics and, perhaps more importantly, cultivating serious religious conversations with little ones.)
- Kloria hymn books!
- The Story Bible!
- Colors I See in Church
- Things I Do in Church
- Things I See in Church
- Things I See at Baptism
- Things I Hear in Church
- My Church Words Book
Phonic-Skills Reading List
- The Hear Me Read Bible
- The Hear Me Read Bible: Level Two
- CPH also produced the Phonic Bible Stories series by Claudia Courtney, although they may be out of print.
Middle School/ Junior High Lists
- Finding the Truth in Story (Grimm’s Fairy Tales) (Volume 1) offers literary insight for those 12 and older.
- A List of (Admittedly not all Lutheran) Christian Theological Poets
- Bo Giertz’ Romans: A Devotional Commentary
Online Reading Lists for Students
Not all of these books are suitable for all children. Use discretion.
- 1000 Good Books with links to various levels
- A Complete Classical Christian School Reading List (The Gospel Coalition)
- Ambleside Online Booklist for Y1-12
- Classical Reader
- The Great Books: History as Literature (Well-Trained Mind Suggestions)
- The HomeScholar’s Reading List for College-Bound Students
- College Board Recommended Reading List for College-Bound Students
- Open Book: https://www.freeimages.com/photo/book-1528240