If you are interested in Lutheran book lists, then this is the page for you. There is even a spot listing Lutheran book review websites.
The most requested so far is this list: Religious Reading Recommendations for Students by Age.
The Bible: Lutheran Editions
- The Story Bible for ages 3-8 (130 Bible stories with realistic pictures, prayers, and discussion questions)
- A Child’s Garden of Bible Stories for ages 6-8 (Sixty Old and New Testament Bible Stories)
- Growing in Faith Bible for ages 8-10 (Full ESV biblical text with narratives highlight 125 Bible narratives and more)
- 120 Bible Stories for ages 8-12 with activity book
- One Hundred Bible Stories for ages 8-12 with activity book
- Faith Alive for ages 11-18
- An American Translation (Sometimes called the Beck Bible)
- Holy Bible: Evangelical Heritage Version published by Northwestern
- The Lutheran Study Bible
Perhaps culminating with . . . 😀
Book Review Sites by Lutherans
Book reviews aren’t always the primary purpose of the sites, although sometimes they are. Both academic and less academic sites will be listed.
- A Fort Made of Books
- The Beggars’ Blog
- Brandywine Books (Lars, which is pronounced Larce, Walker is the Lutheran)
- Concordia Theological Quarterly Book Reviews
- The Edge of the Precipice
- Katie’s Bookshelf at Sisters of Katie Luther
- Logia Online
- Loved in Spite of Self
- Liturgy, Hymnody, and Pulpit Quarterly Book Review
- Lutheran Book Review
- The Lutheran Column
- Lutheran Pub
- Lutheran Quarterly Book Reviews
- Mary J Moerbe reviews books here
Education Books by Lutherans
General Lutheran Education
A Christian Pedagogy by Edward Koehler
Luther on Education: article
Lutheran Curriculum Guides
Some of these may have non-Lutheran authors, but these first five books were recommended by LCEF Interest Time, Issue 114, p. 24.
- From Ghosts to God in Enga Land: Planting His Church Among the Enga People of Central Papua New Guinea by the (Lutheran) Rev. Dr. Otto Hintze Jr.
- Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility by Duane Elmer
- Tortured for Christ by (Lutheran) Rev. Richard Wurmbrand
- Ministering Cross-Culturally by Marvin Mayers and Sherwood Lingenfelter
- Silence: A Novel by Shusaku Endo
Non-Fiction By Age
All Ages (Youngest to Oldest)
- Luther’s Small Catechisms: Editions for Every Age
- Religious Reading Recommendations for Students by Age
- Easter ABCs is for preschoolers.
- My Little ABC Liturgy Book (and coloring book!) is great for preschoolers and early elementary ages.
- Our Faith from A to Z has basics for younger kids and more for older. Good for discussions.
(One popular non-Lutheran, religious ABC book is Big Thoughts for Little People: ABC’s to Help You Grow. It isn’t Lutheran. It isn’t perfect, but it has been very helpful in introducing topics and, perhaps more importantly, cultivating serious religious conversations with little ones.)
- Kloria hymn books!
- The Story Bible!
- Colors I See in Church
- Things I Do in Church
- Things I See in Church
- Things I See at Baptism
- Things I Hear in Church
- My Church Words Book
Phonic-Skills Reading List
- The Hear Me Read Bible
- The Hear Me Read Bible: Level Two
- CPH also produced the Phonic Bible Stories series by Claudia Courtney, although they may be out of print.
Middle School/ Junior High Lists
- Finding the Truth in Story (Grimm’s Fairy Tales) (Volume 1) offers literary insight for those 12 and older.
- A List of (Admittedly not all Lutheran) Christian Theological Poets
- Bo Giertz’ Romans: A Devotional Commentary